Saturday, May 10, 2014

Gully Dwarves (with DCC stats)

Gully dwarves, I love the buggers. Also known as Clan Aghar, they are unique to the Dragon Lance setting. They are one of Krynn's four dwarven subraces, the other being the mountain dwarves, hill dwarves, and the dark dwarves (evil darkness dwelling mountain dwarf off-shoot). Instead of lands of their own, they dwell in ruins, sewer systems, and city slums. They tend to be stupid and dirty. Most gully dwarves can't count above 2, though a few geniuses can count to three. However, despite this, they are perpetually cheerful, prideful, and have strong survival instincts.  No one is positive where they came from though most believe they were created by breeding between dwarves and gnomes.

 I've played one before (during the 3rd era). He was Nup (a play on my nickname, Pun), gully dwarf barbarian and cooker. He rescued an injured Knight of Solomnia and nursed him back to health. The knight made a comment that the food he made wasn't half bad. Nup decided if it was only part bad, that meant it was part good. He would travel the world to make his food all good and be the best cooker in the world. I had a lot of fun with Nup. I sacrificed my already few skill points and put them in craft (cooking). I was already at a disadvantage (having a negative intelligence modifier). Still somehow I always managed to make great cooking rolls. Nup will always have a special place in my heart.


As I mentioned in this post, I want to include gully dwarves in my first 5th edition game. I'm sure my hex map can have a set of ruins or two populated by the dirty bastards.

I think it would also be fun to drop these guys into a Dungeon Crawl Classics game.

Gully Dwarf: Init +1, Atk sharp stick +2 melee (1d4); AC 14; HD 1d6; hp 6; MV 30'; Act 1d20; SP grovel; SV Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1; AL N

A gully dwarf can prostrate himself before his attacker and grovel for mercy. Such a pitiful sight may cause the attacker to show mercy and/or not attack the dwarf out of contempt. The attacker must make a Will save. If the save is failed the attacker may not attack the gully dwarf for 24 hours. If the gully dwarf attacks the the person, this effect ends immediately. The gully dwarf may only use this ability on a a target once a day. This only affects creatures of near human intellect and greater, therefore most undead, constructs, and animals are immune to its effects.



No comments:

Post a Comment