Thursday, May 28, 2015

The "What Are You Good At" GM Challenge

I just came across this post at Barking Alien. It's the "What Are You Good At" GM challenge. Here's mine:

What genres, settings, or games in general do you GM best? Which ones do you think you  totally rock?
My Top Five:

Getting my DM on.
Supers (particularly Mutants and Masterminds)
Cinematic Unisystem (drama based action/horror)
Dungeons and Dragons (traditional swords and fantasy)
World of Darkness (new and old school)
Anything with pirates

Which games could you use to work on? That is, if your group wants to play one of these games, you yourself would probably recommend a different GM.

My Bottom Three:

Cyberpunk (just not my thing)
Call of Cthulhu (as much as I love it, I'm not the best gm with it)
Savage Worlds (it's simple and similar to some of my favorite games but I just can't get the hang of it)

What elements of Gamemastering do you do best? What aspects do you nail more often than not?

My Top Five

Flexibility (I know how to roll with pc actions)
Interesting NPC's (I've received more than a few compliments recently on the npc's I've created for my Freeport game)
Props (I don't do them all the time, but when I do, they're cool)
Being Fair (I always do my best to be fair and give every player an equal time in the spotlight)
Being Prepared (While I can't account for everything I'm normally pretty good about having session outlines planned in advanced.


Which elements are still a work in progress? Name some things that you don't do as well as you'd like.

My Bottom Three

Adequate Challenges (In my D&D5 game the challenges are either way to hard or seem too easy)
Staying on task (I don't get to see my friends often, so we spend more time talking than playing)
Killing PC's (I'm getting better as I get older, but do find myself pulling punches sometimes, especially when death is involved)

No comments:

Post a Comment