Thursday, June 21, 2018

I Think My Games Needs More Cock

My sponsor copy of James Edward Raggi IV's Eldritch Cock arrived this morning. While I think overall I like the spells in Vaginas are Magic! better overall, this is a fantastic book. This cock is hard(back) like last year's release, but unlike last year, this book is a shiny full color affair.

The book is a 48 (49 if you have the sponsor version like I do) full color book of metal madness (mixed with some crude humor and meta commentary about people and gaming). The front inside cover reprints the new weird magic rules presented in VAM! and the back inside cover includes playtest notes that are being considered for the next edition of the game. I love reading the author's notes for these releases and James doesn't disappoint this year. He discusses that the book is a based on a joke made last year, but that he realized he didn't want to be a men only book. I'm glad he made that decision. He also discusses how death and sexuality are important parts of who we are as humans and that he should be able to use them in his work if he wants. I agree with this.

The book contains 22 spells. Each one is inspired by a metal track (which is mentioned after the spell name). In addition each one gets a full color illustration. Like last year, these spells are unique and run the spectrum of effects. My favorites are Baptized by the Black Urine of the Deceased, Electric Grave, and Killing Yourself To Live. While these spells are fucked up and horrific (especially the first), they really useful. I want to mention two other spells too, for reasons... Graveyard of the Lightness Planets is meta as fuck. Not as in a meta-magic (like 3rd edition feats). No, this spell causes the game master to discuss what's happening in game terms, giving stats and things like that. Finally, The Thrash of Naked Limbs is the only actual penis related spell. I feel it just need to be mentioned because of the books name. The accompanying illustration is hilarious, by the way.

As I mentioned in my original post about the book, sponsors get a magic item not available in the regular release. I have to say it's the holy relic I never asked for, but it's bloody brilliant and hilarious.

This is another great addition to the Lamentations line. If you weren't able to pick this one up Free RPG Day, I'd definitely grab the pdf when it drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment