Tuesday, October 19, 2021

October Horror Movie Challenge - Evil Dead (2013)


Plot
When her friends try to help her quit drugs cold turkey, Mia, must face new demons.

Review
I've reviewed this movie several times. It is one of my all time favorite movies and is one I put on when I want to get comfortable and relax for the night. Don't get me wrong, I love all of Sam Raimi's Evil Dead related content, but ultimately I think this Evil Dead is a better movie. Shiloh Fernandez's David is a handsome and likable (yet still flawed) protagonist. The character's love and guilt for his decisions come through. Lou Taylor Pucci's Eric (or Hipster Jesus as I liked to call him) is one of the most realistic horror protagonists. Yeah, he fucks up by reading the book, but he's the first to understand that there isn't a logical explanation for what's going on and he accepts the supernatural right away. Finally Jane Levy does an amazing job as Mia. Her demonic rants and scenes are just phenomenal. Don't get me wrong, Jessica Lucas and and Elizabeth Blackmore do fine jobs too, but they are more background characters as the film progresses. Fede Alvarez doesn't have a huge filmography, but he has become one of my favorites and is the reason I'm hesitantly excited for the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. 

I will say there is more I'd like to know. Who was the older man with the possessed daughter in the beginning. Who were the strange looking wildfolk? 

In Your Game

I've already created a bit of game material based on this one. Click the links below to check it out. 



Movie Count
New To Me: 9
Total Movies: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment