Tuesday, October 18, 2022

October Horror Movie Challenge - Halloween Ends (2022)

   

Plot
Four years after the events of Halloween Kills, Haddonfield is a powder keg of distrust and trauma waiting to explode. Lauri Strode is attempting to move on and write a her story. She's also raising her granddaughter Allyson. Allyson starts a relationship with a young man accused of killing the child he was babysitting and this eventually sets events in motion for the end of Lauri and Michael's conflict.

Review
Halloween ends... with a wet fart. Okay, not the most eloquent summation, but I felt this ending was lackluster in some ways. Note, this review contains more spoilers than I typically include.

A big critique of this movie I've seen is that Michael isn't in the movie long. I don't see that as the issue. He has more screen time in this flick than the original film. My issue with Michael's screen time in Halloween Ends is that he's rather ineffective in his time and is lackluster on the screen. Michael loses a shoving match with a twenty something. That's just... bleh, Speaking of that twenty something, I didn't mind the character Corey. I think Rohan Campbell did a good job. A troubled character having a Joker one bad day story is a fine enough villain origin. I liked his interactions with Lori and Allyson. Ultimately, I feel the character was wasted though. That's a shame because if the studio wanted to keep the franchise going beyond Michael Meyers and Lauri Strode, he would have been the way to do that. It would have been cool if he got his own mask, maybe something based on a scarecrow given his Halloween costume.

Another issue I had with the movie is I find it hard to believe Michael was never found. He was just chilling out in the sewers. Seems like the cops would have checked them thoroughly. I don't know, just felt a little weak to me.

Ultimately, I don't think Halloween Ends was awful, I just found it to be a rather uninspired ending.

In Your Game
Here are some SURVIVE THIS!! stats I've made based on the Halloween franchise:
If you want to use him in your 5e games, I found this nice write-up on Reddit.  Follow this link for original image. 

New Movies: 15
Others Horror Movies Watched Since Last Post: 
Challenge Total: 32

1 comment:

  1. I still need to see it. Not sure I'll get to it this challenge though.

    ReplyDelete