Wednesday, April 3, 2024

C is for Captain Boomerang

While I really liked his son Owen's time as an anti-hero Captain Boomerang in the Outsiders (at least pre-Blackest Night), I'm going to stick with the original Digger Harkness version of Boomer for this post. In addition to being a member of my other favorite villain association, the Flash's Rogues, Digger has been on nearly every iteration of the Suicide Squad at one point or another. While some of the Rogue's have a sense of honor, Digger is a real scumbag and it comes out a lot in the Suicide Squad comics (especially the original Ostrander run where he's depicted as racist and misogynistic). Jai Courtney's version is a bit more likeable (though still a scumbag) and I thought his use in The Suicide Squad was perfect.

I've posted Light City stats for him in the past. The 5e stats will seem weaker than a lot of the character stats I do this month, but that’s because Digger is pretty weak compared to many of his teammates. 

Code Name: Captain Boomerang
Real Name: George "Digger" Harkness
Team Affiliation: The Rogues, Suicide Squad

Medium Humanoid, Neutral Evil

Armor Class: 14 (Dex)
Hit Points: 59 (9d8+18)
Speed: 30 ft.
Challenge: 3 (700 XP)

Str 12 (+1) Dex 18 (+4) Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 10 (+0)

Saving Throws: Dex +6
Skills: Acrobatics +6, Stealth +6, Sleight of Hand +6
Senses: passive Perception 10
Languages: English 

Unique Traits
Boomerang Master: Boomerangs always return to Captain Boomerang's hands, even if they hit their mark. He also has advantage on all Boomerang related attacks.

Actions
Mutliattack: Captain Boomerang makes three boomerang attacks.
Boomerang: Melee Attack. +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) slashing damage.
Boomerang: Ranged Attack. +6 to hit, range 30 ft, one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) slashing damage.
Exploding Boomerang (Recharge 5-6): Ranged Attack. +6 to hit, range 30 ft, one target. Hit: 6 (4d6+4) bludgeoning damage. All creatures within a 10 ft radius take 11 (2d6+4) bludgeoning damage (or have on a successful DC 14 Con save).

5 comments:

  1. I have the Jai Courtney Captain Boomerang figure from the first movie that was literally less than $4 on Amazon by Christmas in 2016. I guess they haven't made another one since then. Anyway, I thought you might have Captain Cold today but they're both good characters and part of the Rogues, which I guess is weird to have two "Captains" in the same group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a character, I like Captain Cold more. His role of Forever Evil is one of my favs and I love what he does to Johnny Quick. I went with Boomerang because I feel he’s a more iconic Suicide Squad member.

      Delete
    2. Yeah after I posted I thought, "Was Captain Cold even in the Suicide Squad?" I'm sure at some point. But definitely Boomerang has been in it more. Similarly I'd wager tomorrow is Deadshot and not Deathstroke. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I forgot until I saw a BlueSky post a few minutes ago they're coming out with a new Boomerang figure in June that is more comics-based. Hopefully the sales are better than the movie one.

    ReplyDelete