Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Or Not...


Some spoilers from Storm King's Thunder. Also, if you're one of my SKT players, stop reading now.

It looks like I posted a little prematurely (don't you hate when that happens). Two of my four players have already played through The Lost Mine. This is the new plan.

Level 1 - The Impregnable Fortress of Dib and The Marrow Mines (from Prepared!): The party are hired by a guard/noble from a city (tbd) to handle a goblin and kobold problem that's been plaguing a local trade route. The fortress is just fantastic. I'm going to use it in future games. The Marrow Mines are intriguing as well. I may make the fossilized leviathan, something from the time of the giant empire. I might even place a rune magic item there. BTW, if you would like more rune magic items for you game, check out this post from World Builder Blog. After completing their task they will meet the quest giver in the Fiery Grog Tavern.

Level 2 - Fiery Grog Tavern and Madness of the Rat King: The tavern is a great set piece that has some fun encounters and unique npc's. It's here they're get the hook to move into Madness of the Rat King which I think will be fun. The adventure features a mad elven alchemist and his mutant rats. It's a classic video game (low level rat-filled zone) cliche', but I think the group will have fun with it (and the bizarre mutant rats).

Level 3+ Storm King's Thunder: Once they finish Madness of the Rat King the characters will head to Nightstone. From here, I'll run A Great Upheaval pretty much as is. The party may be a bit overpowered, but I don't necessarily think they'll be that much. Once they take care of the dripping caverns, I'll level them up as the adventure instructs. I've decided that Bryn Shander will be the settlement the hook leads them too.

Level 6 Sanctuary of Belches, A Cloud Giant's Bargain, and The Secret Party House of the Hill Giant Playboy: These three adventures will take place during Chapter 3: The Savage Frontier. A Cloud Giant's Bargain will take place when the party is in Waterdeep for Sirac of Suzail's quest. Sanctuary of Belches will be a part of Beldora's Quest (and the events will be affecting Huddleston). I think Thwip will take a liking to the party's gunslinger and may pass on plans for one of the "Craft only" firearms listed with the Gunslinger archetype.  Finally Lord Xados of The Secret Party House of the Hill Giant Playboy will be another way to foreshadow Chief Guh. Xados has heard of the chief and doesn't like the prospect of being taken as one of her mates.


In addition I will be using World Builder Blog's desert giant additions (which thus far can be found here and here) for the adventure.

Hraesvelgr the Corpse Swallower is a unique divine-blooded neutral giant from Tome of Beasts. I'm not sure how, but I'd love to find a way to incorporate him into the adventurer.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice plan! The thought of sending characters/players through a scenario they've already faced also makes me think it could be fun to start out a session exactly as the previous one, without any sort of warning, and then have it turn into some sort of Flashpoint-style time paradox.

    ReplyDelete