Tuesday, October 31, 2023

October Horror Challenge - Five Nights At Freddy's (2023)

Instead of doing "Remake is Better than the Original," which would have been Fright Night. Instead I went with the alternate "Video Game Movie" because I really wanted to watch FNAF.


Plot
A man haunted by his brother's kidnapping and struggling to take care of his younger sister, must take a job as a nightwatchmen at a rundown family entertainment center. 

Review
This movie has been shredded by most critics, but had an amazing box office opening and is great a lot of praise from fans of the series. The game's creator, Scott Cawthon wrote the story, screenplay, and served as a producer with Jason Blum. I have to say, that I'm a fan of Five Nights At Freddy's. I'm not an obsessive one, but I do enjoy the franchise and appreciate the deep lore it has. I thought the film was engaging and had great atmosphere. While I would have been fine with more gore, I understand the emphasis on implied horror rather than visual horror to cater to the younger fanbase. I do think a few extra jump scares would have been nice though, considering that's what the game is known for.

The animatronics looked great. They really do like like they walked right out of the game. I'm a fan of Josh Hutcherson and I think he plays a great, regular guy trying to do his best. Piper Rubio was fantastic as his little sister, Abby. Matthew Lillard was phenomenal too. There are some Youtube personality cameos that are a nice touch too. The story deviated enough from the established story to be its own thing, but still included all the important beats and hallmarks of FNAF. I know there isn't a lot of competition, but I'd say this is one of the best video game flicks of all time.

Finally this one is for any FNAF fan reading this. I believe the voice spelling out "Come Find Me" at the very end of the credits is Puppet (who I bet is Garrett in this continuity).

In Your Game 
For the spirits of the murdered children, use the stats for Ghost, Spirit of Pain, when they aren't possessing the animatronics (though they are neutral, not evil).

Animatronic, Possessed Fazbear (Construct)
Armor Class: 10
Hit Dice: 4+3
Move: 12
Actions: 1
Attack: Bite (d6)
Special: Immune to mind-affecting effects, Madness, Poisons, Being Sickened, Diseases, and Critical Hits, Toughness +2, electricity stuns for d4 rounds
Bonuses: +2 to hit, +4 to Melee damage, +4 to Dancing,  +5 to Art & Music
Alignment: Neutral 
Morale: 10
Madness: NA
Terror: 11
HDE: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment