Thursday, October 26, 2023

October Horror Challenge - Pet Sematary: Bloodlines (2023)

Based on The Tale of Timmy Baterman, a prequel to 2019's Pet Sematary dropped on Paramount+ earlier this month and I decided to make it my "New Movie" choice.


Plot
In 1969, Judd Crandall and his girlfriend Donna prepare to leave for the Peace Corps. Unfortunately a series of events and the town's dark history change their plans.

Review
This is a prequel that didn't need to exist, but overall I enjoyed. It was nice to see more about he history of Ludlow, Maine. I enjoyed Jackson White (son of actress Katey Sagal) as a young Jud. He was a likeable handsome protagonist. He does kind of prove useless at the end of the flick though. Speaking of the ending, this one kind of falls apart at the end. I feel that the story is engaging and the cast do a great job. I really enjoyed Isabella Star LaBlanc and Forrest Goodluck as siblings Donna and Manny. Pam Grier and David Duchovny also appear, though they are underutilized in my opinion. The sinister nature of Ludlow is revealed and the story progresses nicely. However, the ending just kind of happens. Lots of quick deaths (which could have been made more elaborate and graphic) and the final confrontation is just meh. 

I like the premise of this movie. I like the lore presented. I like the performances. Overall it was still lacking though. I enjoyed it though, even if it was a bit of a let down.

In Your Game 
I was going to create rules for bringing the dead back, but my friend Tim Knight did so already back in 2019 and even references a SURVIVE THIS!! game. So if you'd like to add the cursed ground and remind your players that sometimes dead is better, check out his review of the original Pet Sematary flick and the new rules accompanying the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment