Tuesday, September 12, 2023

May Your Blade Be Wet And Your Powder Dry

After talking to friends it looks like I'm going to be running a 5e game back home once or twice a month. I've decided that I'm going to finally run the nautical exploration game I've been dreaming about. So that I have an established setting, I'm going to use Critical Role's Exandria. This gives me established main continents and a pantheon of gods. The game will start on the Menagerie Coast (and I might even use the starter adventure for that area). I will also be using Darktow Isle and the Revelry.

I won't be sticking strictly to established setting stuff. For example. I definitely am including Genial Jack. The new races presented their will be available to players. To fit him in the setting, I'm making Jack a divine servant of both the Melora the Wild Mother and Erathis the Law Bearer. Additionally, because he is known to save civilizations, he's a mortal (or rather immortal) enemy of Uka'toa.  

I will definitely be stealing encounters and the town of Flotsam from Limitless Adventures' Pirate Bundle. In addition to Darktow Isle and Flotsam, I plan on using Runeterra's Bilgewater as a pirate haven in the game. While I haven't planned all adventures I'm using, I am including Jungle Tomb of the Mummy Bride. The party will come across a copy of A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island and be enticed to head to Hot Springs Island (which I finally have physical copies of). Captain Hartchild's Guide to Oceanic Depths will help me populate the world.

I'm rather excited that I have dice that fit the game thematically. I have a nice collection (with dice bag) that I obtained via Black Oak Workshop's Deathgale Galleon (and another Advent-ure Calendar set). Looking forward to session 0 and planning this one out with the group. Expect more updates and ideas.

Also if you have any recommendations for nautical or jungle/exotic exploration adventures, let me know. 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've always wanted to run a pirate game but have never followed through. There's an old (well, prob early 2000s) issue of Dragon (the "Ninjas Pirates Dinosaurs" issue) that included some pretty inspirational stuff, including (IIRC) a little map of Port Royal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that issue. I had all of the 3e and 3.5 issues, but after several different moves I gave them away.

      Delete